Sunday, June 20, 2010

Details

My MC has come up with a brilliant idea to overcome a big obstacle… my question is this: when you’re reading a book would you prefer to be filled in on the idea before it is put into action, or would you like to find out as it happens?

Maybe I should just allude to the plan but not divulge all the details—so far I am torn between both ways. I think by holding back the essentials it adds tense to what’s about to come…

What do you think?

Thx for any comment you might leave...

4 comments:

  1. I think there isn't one right answer. It's the right plan for the right book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parts of it being alluded to, and then being filled in as it happens--twists included--appeals to me more. I'm sure you can use the other when it's appropriate, however. If the plan has uncertainty there'll be tension, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only tell you what I hate: I hate it when something that was never hinted at, or didn't seem to exist at first, pops up at the last minute to save the day. Just had it happen in a book I was reading, and it completely ticked me off.

    If you're going to bring in something great, let it come out naturally...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you need to go with your gut, and what feels right for your story, genre and your character(s).
    Remember, you can always change it during revisions.

    ReplyDelete