Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Learning the elements of style...

Learning the elements of style...

I have to work on being a better artist, one who brings the world to life. When I began to write I felt too much description slowed down the book. lately I found good descriptions adds to the book by bringing the world around the characters out, helping the reader to visualize the settings and making the world real…
Know before you laugh and say to yourself, of course that’s what it’s all about... let me expound on my meaning. Even though I’m sure you already knew this and much more.

Before I would write:
Jake walked to the amulet in the middle of the room, when suddenly a chill ran down his back like someone just blow gently on the back of his neck. He turned around quickly expecting to see someone but found the dark room to be empty.

Now I would write:
Jake walked slowly towards the gold amulet, setting on a wooden desk in the middle of the dark cold room. The old floor boards creaked under his feet with every step he took. Making it to the amulet he reached out a hand, when an ice cold chill ran down the back of his neck. He turned around in fear expecting to see someone standing there, but found it was only his imagination.

Now I just threw these two examples out there, I didn’t take too much time on them. I just wanted to give an idea of what I was talking about. Even though describing actions is slower to the point. I feel it helps the reader connect to the environment or world their in.

How do you know when too much description is well… too much?
And would you agree that describing the actions of the character to be a better way of writing than just getting to the point?
What advice can you give to a beginning author that you would feel is important to know?

Thx for your time and I hope I just didn’t make a fool out of myself by talking about something that anyone already knew.
Thx again…

1 comment:

  1. The point is to know how much is just write - and you'll never please everyone. Some of my favorite authors will spend a page and a half describing an outfit - that's too long.

    Basically, it should be like special effects. It should make the story better, bring it to life. As soon as it becomes a distraction, that it starts to bog down the story, it's gone too far.

    ReplyDelete